Thursday, December 17, 2009

Jiggy gone...

caneless! Yes you read that right!

I got up this morning and for the first time in a long time my legs have felt pretty good. I still have pain in them but today they felt stronger than they have in a long time. So...

Alycia and Jack and I were going to take a trip to Wal Mart. I needed to pick up a few things (including a gift for Alycia as her birthday is tomorrow) and we just wanted to get out of the house for a bit.

So as we were gathering our stuff to go to Wal Mart I thought to myself, I am going to try to do this without my cane. I know that sounds totally crazy as I have been using it for almost a year and half...but I thought well, Alycia could help me and I was going to be holding onto a buggy so it should not be too bad.

When we got to WM, we got a pretty close parking spot but I still had to walk from the car to the WM. I was a little unsteady but I managed to get to where the buggy's were. I was impressed with myself! :)

I walked the WM and held onto the buggy. Jack would not let me push him in the buggy so Alycia had a seperate buggy. We had a nice lunch at Subway and Jack was so good at the Wal Mart.

I got back to the car, managed to walk to the car, then onto the cart corral and back to the car. I know it does not seem like much but to me it was HUGE. I have not been without the cane in so long it has become like a part of me and while I am not running marathons yet it felt good to walk without it...my legs are killing me at the moment but as I get stronger it will be easier. Who knows maybe this time next year I WILL be running marathons...

So how is that for some good news?

Love, Jenn

6 comments:

  1. Too STINKIN AWESOME!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been praying for you here at the Heyde house. I am so glad to hear some positive news. Have a safe trip home!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you Jiggy. You deserve to feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is simply awesome news! I can't wait to hear you getting better and better. I am glad you are going home - is it permanent? Did they find an answer for you? Questions, questions... Merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! That is awesome Jiggy. :)


    Ashley Bradford

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Jenn! I can so identify with you. I remember the first time I went without my cane after my stroke. What a feeling of accomplishment! I know you'll still have good days and not-so-good days, but I also know you'll continue to have days when you'll be able to go caneless as your legs continue to get stronger. You continue to be in my prayers.

    Cindy/Sass

    ReplyDelete