Friday, November 27, 2009

Puts things in perspective

I went to rock Trey today. It was amazing as always. He is such a good baby and makes it easy to love him! He was wide awake and raring to go when I got there and we had a busy day. I got to do PT with him and then he had speech therapy. That was fun he took the bottle like a champ and sucked it down in like two minutes flat!

But while I was there something happened that really made me thankful that all I have is an invisible illness or two to deal with.

There was a baby in the bed across the way from Trey. I think he got there Wednesday when I was there last. He was discharged to Hospice care. For those of you who do not know that is for someobne who is dying. Here was this little bitty baby going home to Hospice care. I cannot fathom what his family is going through. I briefly talked to his mom. You could see it in her eyes, her baby has been given little time to live, there is nothing else they can do medically. I cannot imagine the hopelessness she must be feeling. I prayed for her most of the day while I was rocking and playing with Trey. I overheard the doctor say he may live a week but most likely not.

Katie, Trey's nurse for the day was also this baby's nurse. After he left another nurse came by and she broke down. I cannot imagine what her job is like day in and day out with some of the sickest babies around. Some of them don't make it. It takes a really special person to be able to be there for the families. My job pales in comparison. I am thankful that there are people out there who do the hard jobs.

It puts all of my small problems into perspective. I am not taking my baby home for what may be the last week of his life.

Thank You Lord for the perspective.

Love, Jenn

2 comments:

  1. You should send that nurse one of your beautiful cards. She deserves it!
    I love reading your posts. You always put my thoughts back in perspective. :-)
    Are you leaving tomorrow?
    LN

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. I may just do that!
    I leave at 9:50pm tomorrow. Pray for me as we are all kind of nuts around here. I have to figure out what can come out of the suitcase and what can stay because I am 2lbs over...UGH!!!! The kids adn Harvey are stressed but we will make it through.

    ReplyDelete